Position Title: Community & Digital Services Librarian
Olin is more than a college, it’s a cause. As the world’s only engineering lab school devoted to changing the way engineering is taught, Olin is different than any other engineering college on the planet and is making waves. The engineering curriculum is infused with study of the arts, humanities and social sciences, and entrepreneurship, and students learn through project-based, collaborative endeavors while gaining experience by presenting and communicating their work to others. Since it first opened its doors a decade ago, Olin has succeeded by all measures – attracting top students, achieving gender balance in a field where only 19% of students are women, graduating highly sought after alumni, rising to the top of rankings, and receiving the country’s top prize for innovation in engineering education. Located west of Boston in Needham, Massachusetts, we’re perfectly positioned to take advantage of one of the most exciting urban centers in the world.
The Olin Library is operational lab prototyping a possible future of libraries, starting with this one. Come join our team to help us situate the library at the center of the Olin experience. Help us build the relationships, create the materials and hold the events that engage our community and resources in new ways.
We’re a tiny library, which means two things; 1) we have the agility to iterate -- try, fail, and try again, 2) all of us here have to wear all hats. One minute you may help develop new policy and strategy, the next minute you may be throwing away pizza boxes. Underlying all of this work is tremendous opportunity for a self-starter. If you are passionate to explore the future of libraries, this is your place.
Olin College of Engineering is currently recruiting a dynamic, forward-thinking, creative Community & Digital Services Librarian (STEM). You will immerse yourself in both our digital and physical holdings, learning our (small) collection inside out. You will then use this knowledge to get the Olin community excited about, and using, the great resources we provide.
(STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math education).
- Become our resident resources/tools/databases expert
- Provide library instruction for the community
- Community outreach - creatively promote events, digital resources, tools, books
- Ensure uptime and performance of our digital resources
- Produce library communication materials
- Develop resource guides
- Provide ready reference services to patrons
- Monitor usage statistics
- Plan and run events
- Maintain tidiness
- Provide collection development insight
- Build relationships and collaborations with faculty, staff and students
- Build and manage vendor relationships
- Help us cultivate an open, welcoming culture of learning & creativity in our library
- Help us transform Librarianship
- Team Player
- Willingness to try and do all work -- from cleaning stains to negotiating contracts
- Comfort in learning & maintaining a web-based Content Management System (CMS)
- Knowledge of Facebook & Twitter
- Clear and timely communication
- Efficient execution of tasks
- Desire to make lasting relationships with an amazing student body
- Passion for experimentation - help us take advantage of this lab!
- Video/Design Production - experience or interest
- Adobe Creative Suite - knowledge of, or willingness to learn (via lynda.com)
Master's Degree in Library Science from an American Library Association (ALA)-accredited library school.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Olin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Non-discrimination/Affirmative Action Statement
In accordance with its own values and with federal and state regulations, Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering does not discriminate in admission, programs, services or employment—including the recruitment, hiring, training and promotion of persons in all job classifications—on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.