Position Title: STEM Library Director - Innovator ~ Creator ~ Community Integrator ~ Partnership Architect
Is this you?
Olin College of Engineering has a unique opportunity for a dynamic, forward-thinking, creative Library Director to provide direction and leadership to support Olin’s vision for the future. Olin is more than a college, it’s a cause. As the world’s only engineering lab school devoted to changing the way engineering is taught, Olin is different than any other engineering college on the planet and is making waves. The engineering curriculum is infused with study of the arts, humanities and social sciences, and entrepreneurship, and students learn through project-based, collaborative endeavors while gaining experience by presenting and communicating their work to others. Since it first opened its doors a decade ago, Olin has succeeded by all measures – attracting top students, achieving gender balance in a field where only 19% of students are women, graduating highly sought after alumni, rising to the top of rankings, and receiving the country’s top prize for innovation in engineering education. Located west of Boston in Needham, Massachusetts, we’re perfectly positioned to take advantage of one of the most exciting urban centers in the world.
Our library is currently an active learning space, open 24/7, serving a community which uses information to drive innovation through access to virtual resources, printed media – onsite and through exchanges – as well as realia that include materials samples and hand tools. Library staff members not only provide outstanding service but also work closely with faculty, students and other college staff to achieve Olin’s mission to catalyze change in undergraduate engineering education. Bring your STEM expertise, technological savvy, affinity for disruptive change & management skills along with your passion for teaching & learning to this high touch, deep virtual, and broadly connected library.
What comes next for our Library - seamless curricular integration, new learning modalities, maker spaces where information drives realization? Apply to join an amazing community and help answer these questions.
Olin College of Engineering is currently recruiting a dynamic, forward-thinking, creative Library Director. Bring your STEM expertise, technological savvy, affinity for disruptive change & management skills along with your passion for teaching & learning to this high touch, deep virtual, and broadly connected library. Our library is an active learning and doing space, open 24/7, serving a community which uses information to drive innovation through access to virtual resources, printed media – onsite and through exchanges – as well as realia that include materials samples and hand tools. Library staff members not only provide outstanding service but also work closely with faculty, students and other college staff to achieve Olin’s mission to catalyze change in undergraduate engineering education.
- Establish forward thinking long-term goals, policies, and procedures for the library in accordance with the institution's mission and goals.
- Provide leadership and management to transform the Olin library into and active learning and doing space.
- Collaborate with Olin’s faculty, staff and students to assess, create, oversee and leverage innovative collections. Maintain vendor relationships, participate in consortia for resource sharing and develop/utilize new models to obtain resources.
- Work collaboratively with faculty and staff in developing, supporting and delivering Olin’s engineering education.
- Take a leadership role in Babson-Olin-Wellesley Libraries partnership initiatives as well as general Three-College Collaboration initiatives.
- Prepare and recommend annual budget; monitor budget expenditures; solicit alternative funding sources; assist with grant preparation and writing.
- Deliver information services through reference, bibliographic instruction, searching of electronic resources, and through the creation of research and collection guides.
- Manage data archival initiatives, repositories and long-term digital storage, software solution development and cloud computing.
- Recruit, hire, manage, train, and evaluate staff; promote staff development activities.
- Lead and actively participate in professional organizations that directly impact the library’s evolution and the professional development of the staff.
- Serve as campus contact for copyright and Intellectual Property queries, raise awareness of copyright issues in classrooms and with materials, facilitate the negotiation of intellectual rights management and obtaining of permissions.
- Other duties, assigned.
Supervises: Library Staff – currently 2 FTE plus student workers
- Management of disruptive change
- Scholarly communications
- Open access management
- Budget management
- Customer service excellence
- Creativity and fluidity
- Clear and Timely Communication
- M.L.S Degree or relevant advanced degree.
- Five + years of library management experience.
- Science and/or engineering subject expertise. Familiarity with resources and research approaches in other areas, including the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
- Experience in developing new services.
- The ability to manage projects and people in an environment of continuous change and improvement.
- A clear vision of how information services can contribute to a learning community.
- A proven, strong service orientation.
- An understanding of trends in information and educational technology.
- The ability to oversee, develop and deliver instructional services.
Expertise in the application of technology to information utilization and manage
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Olin College is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and specifically invites and encourages applications from underrepresented groups.