- September 2016
Ingenious Interview for Nautilus Magazine
Ingenious: Richard K. Miller
Nautilus Magazine -- a different kind of science magazine that delivers big-picture science by reporting on a single monthly topic from multiple perspectives -- recently published an Ingenious interview with President Richard K. Miller in its Issue #40: Learning. In the interview President Miller talks about how he came to lead the reinvention of engineering education and what makes Olin's approach of educating engineers unique.
- September 2016
Business Innovation Factory 2016 Summit
My Entrepreneurial Journey
Richard K. Miller, the first — and only — president of the Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering, has spent his career educating what he calls "engineering innovators." He says, “an engineer is a person who envisions what has never been and does what it takes to make it happen. If you don’t have vision, and you don’t want to make change, you’re not really an engineer — you’re an applied scientist."
- May 2016
at Stanford eCorner
More Innovation Through Education
A five minute excerpt from the "More Innovation Through Education" talk Olin College President Richard K. Miller gave on May 25, 2016 at Stanford eCorner. The talk highlights ways in which higher education can create more innovators by better integrating studies that have traditionally segregated students.
- March 2016
National Academy of Sciences in Washington, DC
2016 T-Summit Conference
An excerpt from the 2016 T-Summit Conference featuring Olin College President Richard K. Miller’s remarks on the origins of Olin College and the need to transform engineering education. The conference was held March 21 - 22 at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, DC.
- October 2016 - "The Imporance of Mindset" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- May 2016 - "Innovation and Creativity: What Are They and Can They Be Taught?" (PDF)
- October 2015 - "Is Design Thinking the New Liberal Arts of Education?" R.K. Miller, Benjamin Linder (PDF)
- May 2015 - "Rebalancing Engineering Education" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- May 2014 - "The Role of Collaboration in Spreading Cultural Change in Teaching and Learning" R.K. Miller, John Abele, Lynn Andrea Stein (PDF)
- May 2013 - "Rising Tuition and Student Debt, Uncertain Job Opportunities: Engineering Education in Challenging Financial Times" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- October 2013 - "Why So Many Nations Are Focused on Educating Engineering Innovators Today" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- May 2012 - "How Will Internet-Based Instruction, Social Networking and Mass Communication Change Undergraduate Engineering Education?" R.K. Miller
- November 2011 - "The Challenge of Spreading Innovation in Teaching and Learning: Why Is It So Hard and What Can Be Done About It?" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- May 2010 - "Beyond Technology: Preparing Engineering Innovators Who Don't See Boundaries" R.K. Miller (PDF)
- November 2009 - "On Becoming an Important and Constant Contributor: Deepening Our Culture of Innovation," R.K. Miller (PDF)
- The Future of Engineering Education: An Interview with Rick Miller, February 2014 (PDF)
- "From the Ground Up: Rethinking Engineering Education for the 21st Century," R.K. Miller, Symposium on Engineering and Liberal Education, Union College, June 4-5, 2010 (PDF)
- President Richard K. Miller, Inaugural Address, 05/03/03
- President Richard K. Miller, Opening Remarks to Olin Partners, 08/27/01