Last Saturday was move-in day for the Olin Class of 2019. It was truly a gorgeous day on campus, warm and sunny, and buzzing with the nervous energy and excitement that comes with starting something new. I had the distinct pleasure of introducing the Class of 2019 and then officially passing them over to our Provost after lunch. I wanted to share my welcoming remarks here, because I think it gives you a peek into our community:
My deep affection and respect for Olin began when I worked here recruiting the classes of 2009 and 2010- we didn’t even have four classes on campus in my first year. In those two short years I became enamored of the Olin mission so I am absolutely thrilled to be back among the Olin Community as the Dean of Admission and Financial Aid.
My job today is to present you, the Olin Class of 2019! As I learned of your accomplishments, I was certainly impressed: academically your preparation and potential rival the top colleges and universities across the country. I am sure you- and your parents- are extremely proud! The Class of 2019 represents 28 states and 8 countries and is nearly gender balanced at 46% female. While these metrics are striking, it is your personality, your interests, your Olin-ness that makes you truly remarkable. It’s how we took a diverse and talented pool and created the dynamic community that is Olin.
As a group:
- You are altruistic: nearly three quarters of you participated community service
- You are athletic: 56% participated in sports teams
- You are creative: over 75% participated in arts of all kinds
- You are responsible: nearly 50% of you held a part-time job
- You love robotics! And that makes so much sense- we are Olin after all! Over half of you participated in competitive robotics in high school.
- One of you has a pilot license and one of you is working on a pilot license
- One of you taught English in India
- One of you can solve a Rubik’s cube in under 20 seconds
- One of you is a competitive rock climber
- One of you built a desktop bamboo water fountain
- One of you is currently writing a science fiction trilogy
- One of you designed a working “Phantom of the Opera” chandelier for your local theater
- One of you is an independent film director and editor
- One completed a solo bicycle ride from Hungary to the Adriatic Coast
- One of you co-founded a weekly after school Math Club for 4th and 5th graders
- One of you painted a mural for charity in downtown Dallas, TX
- One of you created a school garden where the harvest goes to the local soup kitchen
- One of you designed and built a robotic prosthetic arm for a quadriplegic man
- One of you has won the United Dairymen of Idaho’s Distinguished Student Award
- One of was a two-time soloist for the Palo Alto Chamber Orchestra
- One of you has planned and led your high school’s first annual Young Women’s Engineering Symposium
And as a whole you are the next generation of innovative engineering leaders!
Welcome to Olin, Class of 2019!