Designing Student-Centered Learning Experiences
June 5-9, 2017
Through participatory workshops, immersive design exercises, and presentations from experts, teams of faculty will learn about, experience, and practice effective, engaging teaching approaches for new and meaningful STEM curricula. Program sessions will help you to:
- Understand and empathize with your students and their experience;
- Create a learning environment that enables and encourages intrinsic motivation;
- Design project-based experiences, new assessment approaches, and teaming experiences that are purposeful, integrated, and effective;
- Practice effective leadership to build successful solutions for curricular change; and
- Apply your learning to creating solutions that will work in your own context.
Together with others from comparable institutions, you and your team will develop concrete action plans for curricular change. Sessions will be highly participatory and you will be challenged to continually consider new ideas and put novel approaches into practice. Institute attendees will acquire a new lens through which to view their projects, an expanded repertoire of techniques and solutions, and concrete steps to take their plans forward.
Designing Student-Centered Learning Experiences is an intensive week-long immersion in the process of curricular design. Past attendees have ranged from Deans to new faculty members as well as everyone in between. All participants should be prepared to spend the full week deeply engaged in this demanding program. Applicants must apply in teams of at least three and describe a project (in the contemplation, planning, or execution stage) at their home institution. Teams will also be required to do preliminary homework, such as interviewing students from their own institution; this work will provide a background to the week's activities.
The fee for the program is $2500 per person. Attendance is limited and an application is required. The priority application deadline is March 24, 2017. Applicants will receive decisions no later than April 14, 2017. The application may be found here.