Corporate Sponsor Information
If you have a challenge that if addressed could significantly benefit your company -- and you would like to have a team of innovative, entrepreneurial engineers focus on it for an academic year -- your company may be a good fit for SCOPE. Find out about some of the SCOPE projects that Olin students are working on this year.
Ideal projects for SCOPE are company problems that are strategic in nature but may be put on the back burner for lack of time or appropriate staffing to address them. While these are not the mission-critical problems that companies must focus on in order to survive, tackling these problems could significantly and positively affect the bottom line, provide a foundation for explosive growth or enable successful entry into a profitable new business area.
Corporate partners provide a sponsorship fee to Olin College of $55,000 to take on their project. Our partnering companies are carefully selected by Olin; we work closely with the sponsor to develop SCOPE projects that provide exceptional value to the partners while providing an important -- and exciting -- educational experience for our students.
Areas of focus include:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Engineering Design
- Interdisciplinary teams of engineers
Why SCOPE benefits corporate sponsors
As a result of starting to work on cross-disciplinary group projects the day they arrive at Olin, our students have strong hands-on engineering and design skills, including rapid-prototyping and user-oriented design, training in entrepreneurship, as well as teamwork and project management skills.
In the SCOPE program, seniors are grouped together in appropriate teams to match the needs of each sponsor company’s project. Corporate partners find that these exceptionally bright engineering students look at problems in new ways and find unexpected solutions. Partners benefit from:
- Innovative and unexpected solutions to real-world, real-time problems from a talented team of creative young engineers
- Student teams’ access to technical expertise of faculty and industry advisors
- Strong program structure to support each team’s work, including project management training, reporting and feedback loops, access to Olin’s state-of-the-art facilities and a dedicated, professionally equipped work space
- An appropriate non-disclosure agreement to protect sensitive interests
- Sponsor retention of all ownership rights of projects results
- Preferred recruitment opportunities