Proposal Submission Process
- Before developing a proposal, it’s a good idea to consult the Provost to enlist approval and support for the project. Questions concerning faculty time commitments, space, and facilities should be resolved at this time.
- As early as possible, the PI should contact Susan Mihailidis (Dir. of Academic Affairs and Sponsored Programs) and provide the solicitation or RFP or a copy or website link. Often, sponsors will ask for pre-proposals and selected applicants will be invited to submit a full proposal at a later date. Notify Susan of your interest in applying BEFORE your letter of intent is submitted.
- In order for applications to be reviewed and approved internally, they must be accompanied by the following:
- Completed Proposal Transmittal Form signed by PI and all key Investigators, including the COI certification.
- Final administrative sections (application cover page, budget, budget justification, subcontract letter of intent if Olin is a subcontract under another institution’s application).
- Technical sections (draft form).
- Subcontract documentation (Olin is the lead institution): this will include the collaborating institution’s SOW, budget budget/justification, and signed Letter of Intent.
- Any special administrative documents required by the sponsor or prime collaborator.
INTERNAL PROPOSAL DEADLINE: for both electronic and paper submissions, provide the above documents five (5) business days prior to sponsor deadline. The Corporate, Foundation and Sponsored Programs (CFS) team will review and if applicable, work with PI to correct any necessary revisions. The proposal will then be routed to Olin’s institutional officials for review and signature.
This allows time for possible technology slowdowns and for the PI to make corrections in response to system errors indicated by the online grant portals (Grants.gov, for example).
For paper proposals, unless indicated otherwise, the PI will receive the signed proposal forms back from CFSto be submitted to the sponsor.
For electronic submissions, the PI must release the complete proposal to CFS, with the final research plan “ready to go”, two (2) business days prior to the deadline for electronic submission to the sponsor.