Adva Waranyuwat, Assistant Dean of Student Affairs


Academic Support

Academic advising

Our academic advising system facilitates students' academic and personal development throughout their educational careers. Each student has a faculty member as an adviser and an 'advising family' consisting of that adviser and her/his advisees. Advising meetings occur frequently during students' first few weeks and on an as-needed basis thereafter.  Students can always feel free to contact their adviser at any time should they need assistance.

Advisers offer helpful guidance throughout each student's educational journey. They help students identify and articulate their educational goals. Advisers act as sounding boards for any number of issues in a student's life, including how to balance curricular and extracurricular activities. Advisers have solid relationships with their advisees enabling them to recognize academic or other problems early and direct students to appropriate institutional resources quickly.  In conjunction with their advisees, they organize occasional social events and/or meals to encourage fellowship and answer questions.

Students may request their adviser assignment for the upcoming year each May.  First year students are matched to faculty advisers.  Advising at Olin is coordinated through the Student Affairs and Resources office. 

NINJAs (Olin's version of a Course Assistant or Teaching Assistant)

Most Olin courses have at least one Olin student assigned to them to serve as a NINJA, which stands for Need Information Now? Just Ask.   NINJAs typically hold office hours and/or study sessions and generally serve as a resource for students in the class.  They often help to review homework assignments in conjunction with the faculty member.  NINJAs have taken the class before and are eager to share their expertise with students.


One obvious but often overlooked academic resource is the faculty members themselves.  Sometimes students think their professor might be too busy to help or not interested in working with students outside of the classroom.  This couldn't be further from the truth!  Olin faculty members are here because they enjoy one-on-one and small group interaction with students.  Most professors have office hours and students who need additional help are encouraged to stop by to see their professors during those hours.  And if a professor doesn't have office hours posted, just ask when they are available! 

Peer Tutoring

Student Affairs and Resources organizes peer tutors who can provide their peers with assistance in particular courses.  There is no charge to the tutees for these services.  Peer tutors are a great way to get extra help beyond the regular help of professors and course assistants.  Contact Student Affairs and Resources for more information about the peer tutor program and to request a potential tutor match.

Accommodations Policy for Students with Disabilities

It is Olin College's policy to comply fully with all state and federal disability laws.  Olin does not discrimainte against applicants or students with disabilities, and will consider modification to academic programs where necessary to ensure that our requirements are not discriminatory, as long as the modifications do not fundamentally alter the nature of our programs. The Office of Student Affairs and Resources coordinates services for students with learning disabilities, sensory impairments, psychological disabilities and medical conditions. 

Students are responsible for identifying themselves to the Assistant Dean of Students Affairs and Resources and providing appropriate documentation of their disability and need for accommodation in a timely manner. Students requesting accommodations should contact the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs and Resources as soon as possible after matriculation.  Services for students with learning disabilities may include, but are not limited to, academic accommodations such as extra time and distraction-reduced testing spaces, faculty notification and academic advising. Services for students with physical, sensory, or psychological impairments as well as medical conditions may include, but are not limited to, academic accommodations, assistance with adaptive technology, accessiblity accommodations and academic advising. Any specific modifications granted will be based on detailed discussions with each student about their particular situation, and on information from a medical care provider concerning the student's disability and related needs.