Non-US Citizens

At Olin College of Engineering, we seek to enroll a diverse, multicultural student body, including students with significant international experience. We welcome applications from students living and studying abroad as well as non-U.S. citizens living and studying within the United States.

Application Information
We don’t use a different application for non-U.S. citizens and our admission process and standards are the same for all applicants, regardless of residency status. The application deadline to apply to Olin is the same for all applicants (January 1).

Review of applications concludes by the end of January, at which time we invite about 225-250 applicants to campus to participate in one of our three Candidates' Weekends in late February and early March. All candidates who wish to be admitted must attend a Candidates' Weekend.

If you live outside of the United States and are invited to Candidates’ Weekend, we will reserve space for you during the second or third weekend (unless you tell us otherwise) in order to accommodate extra time you may need to obtain a travel visa. 

Admission Requirements
The admission requirements for non-U.S. citizens are the same as the admission requirements for all applicants. All prospective students, both native and non-native English speakers, are required to submit either SAT scores OR ACT scores

Applicants who live in countries where the SAT and ACT are not offered (and therefore are without a full set of required test scores) will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

The TOEFL is not required, although those scores can be helpful when reviewing applications of non-native speakers.

  • We do not have minimum score requirements, but many of our strong applicants score above 260 on the computer-based test, above 600 on the paper-based test and above 100 on the internet-based test.
  • Our school code for the TOEFL is 9008.

All classes at Olin are taught in English. Therefore, proficiency with the English language is a necessary prerequisite for admission.

Note: If your academic record is in a language other than English, it should be accompanied by an official translation and its accuracy should be verified by a counselor or school official. This is also applicable to supporting documents, such as letters of recommendation. If you are preparing for the International Baccalaureate or the General Certificate of Education (GCE) A-level examinations, please send your expected exam results.

Olin Tuition Scholarship/Financial Aid
The Olin Tuition Scholarship, which covers 50% of tuition, is a merit scholarship that is awarded to all admitted students regardless of what country they come from.

Limited Institutional Need-Based Aid may be available for international students. Interested students should inquire at

Olin is approved by the INS to issue I-20 forms (student visas). The Olin student body is limited to 10 percent non-U.S. citizens; therefore, about eight non-U.S. citizens may matriculate in a given year. U.S. permanent residents and green card holders, however, are not included in this limit.