I couldn’t possibly let this week go by having only posted to notify you of the change in the deadline. (See previous blog for info.) I guess that I hadn’t realized how many Oliners read this blog, even (especially?!?) those who don’t specifically need information about Admissions! It’s interesting to hear feedback from the community, and I think that it points out what it’s “really like” here at Olin. There are so many different types of people, with different backgrounds, different opinions, and different interests, yet we have all found ourselves here for one reason or another, a pieced together community of people who enjoy not only the idea of Olin College, but the day to day accomplishments.
And the accomplishments are many!! Looking over all of the mail and credentials that have come in over the past few weeks, I am humbled by the intelligence and acumen of our prospective students. You all have remarkable lives ahead of you, and I wish you all the best!!
Now, to answer some questions that have come in of late:
1. I got an email that said that the deadline had been extended to December 3rd. Are you serious?
Yes! The deadline has been extended to December 3rd. No, this is not an installment of Punk’d. It’s for real. We wouldn’t do that to you guys!!!
2. Do I have to wait for Mrs. X, my super busy Physics teacher, to give me my recommendation in order to send everything together?
No! You can send in your credentials as you get them. You don’t have to wait for your science teacher to get back to you to send in the other stuff. Send it in as many installments as you need.
3. Should I hire an envoy to carry my application materials to campus to make sure that they are in your hands precisely at midnight on December 3rd?
No! Postmarked by December 3rd is fine. We won’t be here at midnight anyway (at least I hope not)!!!
4. I won an Oscar/wrote a Pulitzer Prize winning novel/restored a rare Van Gogh painting! Can I send it to you as a supplement?
Sure, you can send it, but we can’t give it back, and we don’t promise to be able to review it, though we will try.
5. I had College Board/ACT send you my scores a long time ago, but they aren’t showing up on my account! What do I do?
If it was a long time ago (as in several months) you should call and check with us. If it was a shorter time ago (as in several weeks) you can assume that they were sent but we haven’t got to them yet. If we never get them, we will let you know. We always follow up about missing or incomplete information.
If you have any questions, please feel free to email or call one of us. Our email addresses are listed on the website, and we are more than happy to help you out in any way we can. Now relax, finish those essays, and think of all the fun you are going to have over Winter Break when your applications are done!