Inviting Parents & Relatives to the U.S.
If students on an F-1 visa want to invite their parents or other family members to visit the United States, we recommend students collect the documents listed below and that they send these documents to their parents who will need them for their B-2 travel visa application and interview. Please note that there are no absolute recipes for the visa application process, occasional denials are possible even if a student and their parents follow this advice. Students may be asked to provide as much information as possible to establish that they are here in the U.S. maintaining their legal status, that they or their parents have enough funds to cover the expenses of the parents while they are here, and that they will return to their home country after their visit.
Documentation of status and invitation (Students):
- A letter from the registrar verifying that the student is enrolled full-time and in good standing
- Copy of the student’s I-20 form (NOT THE ORIGINAL), I-94 form, and visa page from the passport
- Copy of the most recent transcript
- Invitation from the PDSO or DSO which states the nature of the event, the date of the event, and the location of the event (Commencement, family weekend, etc)
Additional documentation for visa interview (Parents):
- Documentation showing where parents will stay during their visit to the U.S.
- Proof from bank of sufficient funds to support the trip
- Proof of employment – a letter from the employer indicating that this individual is currently employed and taking time off, but is due back at their job on a specific date
- Proof of property ownership – house, apartment, or a business
- Proof of contact with other family members in the home country