Do you want to talk about Study Away?


Deadline for studying away fall 2018:

March 15

Deadline for studying away spring 2019:

October 15

Deadline for summer study away:

Defer to host program deadlines

How to Apply

So you have decided you want to study away? Here are the steps you should take.

1) The Olin Application

The study away application is all about transparency, giving you confidence that you'll get credit for the classes you take while you are away, and making sure that you graduate on time. The application asks you about why you want to study away, what courses you want to take while you are away, and how those courses fit into your course plan. To apply:

  • Complete the Study Away Application
  • Submit an "unofficial copy of your Olin Transcript" from the portal
  • Submit a copy of the "Declaration of concentration" (See email from Curriculum working group with results from Declarathon)
  • Submit a Transfer Credit Approval Form for each class that you want to take while away
Criteria for Full-Time Study Away

Your application will be approved if you can demonstrate satisfactorily that:

  • the academic institution to which you are applying has courses that meet Olin's rigorous academic standards and are at a level equal to those of Olin's pre-approved study away programs;
  • you will be enrolled full-time (the equavalient to 12 credits at Olin)
  • be in good academic standing as defined in the Student Handbook
  • be proficient in the language being used for instruction
  • have junior class standing (contact your adviser if you are unsure of your class standing)
  • not be on disciplinary probation or suspended from Olin


Full-time Study Away (which requires pre-approval) counts as one of the eight scholarship semesters. The student is maintained as full-time at Olin and is expected to pay Olin tuition after the merit scholarship and any additional costs associated with any such activity at the host institution including any tuition exceeding Olin's, room, board and fees if applicable. See the Home School Tuition Policy Statement for more details.

Financial Aid

Students receiving  need-based aid and/or Federal loans are able to use this funding while studying away from Olin.  A Consortium Agreement is required to determine eligibility.   Please contact for questions regarding your financial aid.