U.S. Tax Information for International Students

The following guidelines are for informational purposes only and should not be considered financial or legal advice. 

The tax filing deadline for 2021 is April 15, 2022.

You are responsible for understanding and complying with U.S. tax regulations in a timely manner. Olin College staff CANNOT advise you on tax issues but we have made some tax resources available to you.

Tax Filing FAQ

Yes, this is even true for non-U.S. citizens. At the very least, an individual will be required to report the number of days they have been present in the U.S. All individuals have a responsibility to report even if you did not earn income. Each year Olin College purchases a tax software.

The Olin  has purchased a tax software, Sprintax, that may be used by Olin F-1 students and individuals on OPT and recent graduates. The International Scholars team in Student Affairs will email the link and login information for Sprintax. 

Between January and mid-March, individuals will begin to receive mail or emails containing valuable tax information. Do not throw away these documents or delete the emails. Here are some examples of forms that may be sent to you:

Form W-2

Form 1095-C

Form 1098-T

Form 1099-MISC

*You may not receive all or any of these documents. 

*Electronic forms are usually more convenient for individuals, especially if you plan on moving. We encourage individuals to request paperless documents when possible.

If you missed the tax filing deadline or you did not file your taxes for the previous year, you can still file. If you don't owe the U.S. government money for that tax year you will likely not face any penalty for filing late. We do encourage all individuals to file their taxes on time to avoid possible issues.

Be aware, this could be a scam!

In the past local international students have been targeted by scams where someone claims to be an IRS or other government official. Scams are more common during the tax season. It is common for the phone number to appear as though it is coming from the IRS and it is also common for the "officer" to threaten individuals with arrest and deportation.

The IRS will NOT contact you via phone and they will NOT ask you to send a gift card or to wire money.  If you believe you have been a victim of a scam, contact the International Scholars team in Student Affairs and Public Safety.

Preparing a state tax return is an additional step AFTER you file your federal tax return. For help with your Massachusetts state income tax return, visit www.mass.gov/dor. If you have resided in another state during the tax year, you may need to file your taxes with that state, along with Massachusetts.

Sprintax has tax professionals available 24 hours a day  to assist Olin's international student and scholars. ALL TAX QUESTIONS should go through Sprintax. The are knowledgeable about U.S. tax law/regulations.

Note: If you prefer not to use Sprintax, you may wish to contact a non-immigrant tax specialist​ for guidance.