Student Accounts

The Student Accounts team is here to help families with all issues related to bill payment. We can be reached at or 781-292- 2429.   

For fastest response, contact us by email and please include your student ID number in your message.

Tuition & Fees

  Fall Semester Spring Semester Total
Tuition $29,986 $29,986 $59,972
Housing $5,869 $5,869 $11,738
Food $4,041 $4,041 $8,082
Health Insurance $2,438 $0 $2,438
General Fee $825 $825 $1,650
Student Activity Fee $90 $90 $180
Laptop Fee ** $1,250 $1,250 $2,500
Tax on Laptop** $156 $0 $156
Total Costs $44,587 $42,061 $86,648
Less Merit Scholarship ($14,993) ($14,993) ($29,986)
Net Cost $29,594 $27,068 $56,662


Tuition bills will be available by July 1 for the fall semester and by November 1 for the spring semester.

*Health insurance is charged in the first semester only and is mandatory unless you complete a waiver to verify that you have comparable coverage. 

**The laptop fee is charged in the first year only. Sales tax is charged in the first semester only.

***All admitted student receive the Olin Tuition Scholarship, which is equal to half the annual tuition, for a maximum of (8) semesters of full-time study. The scholarship is for academically eligible, full-time study, including an away semester. For more details about the Scholarship Policy please refer to the Student Handbook.

See our Cost of Attendance page for more information.

Health Insurance Requirement

The Commonwealth of Massachusetts requires students to be covered by a comprehensive health insurance program. At Olin College, we offer a UnitedHealthcare Student Resources plan managed through University Health Plans (UHP). The UHP website provides information regarding the insurance policy benefits and details of coverage which begins in mid-August and continues for 12 months. All students are billed for student health insurance. However, the charge will be reversed upon timely completion of an insurance waiver. The waiver certifies that equivalent coverage will be maintained during the enrollment period. 

Massachusetts State Requirements

In order to waive participation in the Olin-sponsored policy your insurance must meet the following requirements:

  • The policy must be a US health insurance plan that is filed and approved in the US.
  • The policy must provide coverage for the entire academic year with no break in coverage.
  • The policy must be in full compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and provide minimum essential coverage as defined by the ACA including:
    • The policy must provide an unlimited policy maximum.
    • The policy cannot have a pre-existing condition limitation.
    • The policy must provide emergency and non-emergency local coverage in the area of the College.
    • The policy must provide an unlimited maximum for mental/behavioral health care for inpatient and outpatient services

Olin College does not allow certain students to waive off the Qualifying Student Health Insurance Program (QSHIP). If the student falls under one of the following categories they are ineligible for waiver and will be automatically enrolled:

  • Students with coverage from insurance carriers based outside the United States or coverage by foreign National Health Insurance programs. 
  • International student insurance plans such as ISO, PSI and Student Medicover (these plans are not ACA compliant, are not filed in the US and are not eligible for a waiver.) 
  • Students with a health insurance plan, such as out of state HMO and EPO plans, that provide coverage through a closed network of providers not reasonably assessable in the area where the student attends school, for all but emergency services; or
  • Students with a Health Safety Net, MassHealth Limited, or Children’s Medical Security Plan.
  • Travel insurance and short-term limited duration plans are not accepted.

Waiver Process

The waiver period opens on June 1st and closes on August 1st. If a waiver is not on file with UHP by August 1st, the student will be irrevocably enrolled in the student insurance plan and will remain responsible for payment of the premium on their fall bill. Students can easily file their health insurance waiver form or enroll in the UnitedHealthcare Student Resources plan online at Be sure to have your student ID# available.

Please note, an insurance waiver must be completed each year in order to have the charge removed from the student bill.

If a student's insurance is cancelled at any point during the academic year they are required to notify Student Accounts within 60 days of the loss of coverage. Olin's UnitedHealthcare Student Resources plan will be available at a pro-rated cost for students who lose coverage mid-year. Please consult Student Accounts for applicable rates. Payment is due immediately.

Need-based Grants

A student who receives an Olin Need-Based Grant can request that their grant cover their Olin Health Insurance premium. Forward the Enrollment Confirmation email received from United Health Care to – include your full name and student ID and request that aid eligibility be reviewed to cover this cost. 

Please enroll and request re-review by July 15 to ensure sufficient time to adjust prior to the bill due date. 

In addition to Tuition and Fees, Olin College reserves the right to charge the following to a student's account:

Returned Check Fee (paper check or e-check): $30

Replacement ID Fee: $30

Late Departure Fee: $50 per hour

Replacement Key/Lockset Core Replacement Fee: $35/$75

Replacement Diploma Fee: $100

Babson Public Safety notifies Student Accounts of any unpaid parking fines. Parking fines are due immediately. Payment can be made by check or cash in the Financial Affairs office MH300.

Facilities Services notifies Student Accounts of any dormitory and/or replacement key charges which are then charged to the student account. Payment is due immediately and appeals may be made through Facilities Services.

Summer housing in the Olin residence halls

  • Summer housing is valued at $130 per week for 2023.

  • Olin students working and living on Campus over the summer will have the value of housing included in their taxable income and applicable taxes withheld.

  • Summer stipend recipients should consult a tax advisor as the summer award and associated housing are considered taxable income. Students are responsible for payment of applicable taxes. International students may be subject to 14%-30% tax withholding.

  • Others living in the Olin residence hall over the summer will be charged $130 per week. Note that paid summer housing may not be available every year and is dependent upon space.

  • Please contact for summer housing applications and questions.

The college is not responsible for the personal property of students while in the Residence Halls. To obtain personal property insurance, please contact National Student Services, Inc. at (800) 256-6774 or visit their website at for more information or to apply.

Making a Payment

Fall bills will be mailed to students' permanent address by July 1 and are due August 1. Spring bills will be available on the portal by November 1 and are due December 1.

For complete details regarding tuition and fees, please refer to the Tuition & Fees above. Late payments are subject to a $150 late fee. All students are required to settle their account in full prior to arrival on campus. Students with an unpaid balance will be unable to move in to the residence halls.

Checks may be sent to

Olin College of Engineering

Student Accounts

1000 Olin Way

Needham, MA 02492

Outside Scholarship Checks:

If you expect to receive a scholarship from a private organization, you must provide notification of the outside scholarship to the financial aid office to have it reflected on your bill. If you receive a scholarship check payable to Olin College, please mail it to the address above.

Domestic and International Students can pay their tuition in full by echeck or using a credit card via Nelnet Campus Commerce at International Students will be directed to Convera (formerly Western Union) to process payments from banks outside of the US.

Students can sign up for a payment plan each semester to spread payments over 5 months. Plans do not automatically roll over so you must re-enroll in a new plan each semester. There is no interest or prequalification to sign up for a payment plan but there is a $60 enrollment fee each semester in which you choose to enroll.

Fall semester plan: Payments due July 15 – November 15

Spring semester plan: Payments due December 15 – April 15

Please refer to your student account statement for the correct budget amount when enrolling in your plan. Nelnet does not have access to your student account. Up to date statements are available through the student portal 

Additional charges may be posted to your account throughout the year. The Student Accounts office will adjust your payment plan balance as needed. You will be notified of any payment plan adjustments by nelnet.

Pending Financial Aid & Third Party Payments / Outside Scholarships

  • Approved financial aid will be displayed as a “pending credit” on your student account statement.
  • Student loans must be accepted on your My Financial Aid page at to be shown as pending on your account. Please remember to accept your loans.  
  • Private / parent loans must be applied for and approved by July 15 for the fall semester and November 15 for the spring semester to use in lieu of payment. The College must certify your loan eligibility for the loan to be fully approved.   
  • Aid and loans that do not appear on the billing statement means that it has not been fully processed and is not available to help pay the balance owed. Please pay close attention to all deadlines
  • If a third party is making a payment on your behalf this must be reported to the college. This includes tuition remission, outside scholarships, etc.

  • Outside scholarships must be reported to the Financial Aid Office by July 15 to use those funds in lieu of payment by the due date. Send an official notification from the scholarship agency with details including contact information and award amount. Review the outside scholarship policy to understand how this may impact other financial aid. If an outside scholarship does not appear as pending on your student account statement, please pay the amount you owe to avoid a late fee.  

  • 529 payments require additional time to process – please request these funds from your plan holder with sufficient time to meet the bill due date. 

Credits & Refunds

Students who have an overpaid account due to federal financial aid or loan proceeds will be issued a refund within 14 days after the semester begins or 14 days from receipt of the funds within a semester.  

Fall overpayments unrelated to federal financial aid may be held on account for the spring semester unless a refund is requested. All credit balances will be refunded by June 30th each year.

Refunds are paid to the student unless the student requests otherwise in writing.

Students who are officially approved by the Office of Student Affairs & Resources to withdraw or take a leave of absence may be granted a refund of tuition and room & board only.  Fees are not refundable unless the student leaves prior to the first day of instruction. Health Insurance is generally non-refundable once the plan begins. The cost of the laptop computer* is non-refundable once delivered to the student  Students who are dismissed due to disciplinary action will not be entitled to any refund.  Students who leave Olin College without approval are not entitled to a refund.  Approved withdrawals or leaves may be eligible for a refund based on the following schedule:

  • Leave prior to 1st Day of Instruction - 100% refund

  • Leave prior to the 20th Day of Instruction - 75% refund

  • Leave up to the 33rd Day of Instruction - 50% refund

  • Leave after the 33rd Day of Instruction - 0%

The refund policy also applies to any Olin institutional financial aid (merit and need-based aid) that was previously awarded for the semester.  Olin institutional financial aid is refunded to the College using the percentages referenced above Federal need-based aid will be refunded based on the Federal Title IV refund process. Students are not eligible to receive cash or credit for any unused portion of the Olin Tuition Scholarship under any circumstances.  Olin College will adhere to any provisions and refund policies set forth by outside scholarship agencies.  Any balance created because of scholarship returns or financial aid refunds is immediately due.

*Note: The laptop computer is billed in two installments during the first year (one in July for the fall semester and one in November for the spring semester).  The student is responsible for full payment of the laptop.  Therefore, if a student leaves Olin College in their first year, he or she must make a full payment for the laptop and the applicable Massachusetts sales tax prior to departure. 

For information regarding the refund policy for Title IV, HEA Grant or Loan please review Requirements for Return of Title IV, HEA Grant or Loan.  

Identity Theft Protection

In compliance with the Federal Trade Commission's Red Flag Ruling, Olin College has an established program to detect, prevent, and mitigate identity theft in connection with relevant administrative procedures related to student accounts.

Veteran's Benefits

Notice: Effective February 1, 2023, Olin College no longer participates in the GI Bill Program.

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have adequate health insurance and do not require the student plan, you must waive coverage at by August 1st.

Coverage must be waived each year of enrollment.

If you have accepted a federal loan, it will show as pending financial aid on your statement. If an expected loan is not pending, you must accept the loan in order to deduct it from the amount due. Please refer to the financial aid page on the Olin portal for full instructions.

Outside scholarships are split 50/50 between the fall and spring semesters. If you have earned an outside scholarship that is not listed as pending financial aid on your statement, please submit a copy of the award letter to by July 15th for the fall semester.

Note that in some cases outside awards may necessitate a reduction to your Olin need-based aid. You should not assume that your bill will be reduced by the full amount of the scholarship.

Paper bills are mailed to your permanent residence by July 1st and November 1st each year. These are the only paper statements you will receive. Any updates to your student account can be viewed via the student portal.

Login to

Select the MyStAR tab at the top of the screen

Select Student Accounts on the left side

Select Course and Fee Statement under My Account Info on the right side

After you have been registered for study away with another institution, your account will be updated to reflect the amount due to Olin College, which is only the tuition charge. Olin will pay the tuition portion of your study away program fee directly to the institution. You will be responsible for all other expenses billed by the study away program.

You will receive a mailed copy of your 1098-T statement at the end of January for the prior calendar year. You can also view your 1098-T on the student portal. The 1098-T statement reports any scholarships posted and payments received only for qualified tuition and related expenses (QTRE) in the calendar year.